Version 2.0 - Tokyo is coming soon. Please excuse the construction and let me know if you have any problems.

A Japanese Breakfast

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 / Posted by Zackary /

Good Morning My Loyal Readers!

What do the Japanese have for breakfast? Most people have a Big Mac because there’s nothing like grease and fat to get you going. Oh wait, that’s the American mindset. Sorry about that I am still waking up. At times Japan has little in common with the Western world. But like everywhere on earth a McDonalds is never far away. In Chicago there was a 24 hour McDonald’s two blocks from my apartment. In Nagoya there is a 24 hour McDonald’s two blocks from my apartment. So some Japanese people have an egg McMuffin and bad coffee for breakfast.

The traditional Japanese breakfast is rice, miso soup, baked fish and green tea. Really, fish in the morning? I speak the truth. At first I thought it was crazy but now not so much. Many people I’ve spoken to like fish in the morning but don’t have time to indulge. That’s their excuse and I’ve made it my own.

When I have time in the morning I do eat rice but refer Earl Grey tea. Each morning at school there is hot green tea on my desk when I arrive. For a short time in the summer everyone drinks cold green tea. Summers are brutal here and the humidity can easily reach 80 percent.

My vacation starts tomorrow so I can get up at a respectable time like 9:00 and cook fish. Even I can’t have a pastry filled with cream everyday!

Labels:

3 comments:

Anonymous on January 11, 2009 at 4:35 AM

When I travel (and when I lived abroad) I try to eat what the locals eat. But I draw the line at breakfast. My stomach needs to keep that one meal a day as traditional as normal. I just can't do more than cereal or toast or eggs or pancakes or something like that. In Central America I've worked up to adding some beans in with my eggs, but only a tiny bit and under pressure.

I couldn't do fish, no matter how hard I tried.

Anonymous on January 15, 2009 at 12:45 AM

When I lived in Japan, I loved trying the different food combos. People eat fish and veggies in the morning and late at night love going to the pastry shops and eating sweets! Also, love the steamed dumplings you can buy from carts on the street or noodle shops where the steam is always pouring out of the windows! Yummm

Comment by Unknown on January 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Is it true that fish eyes are a delicacy? I lived in Europe for a while and got used to small dinners of various cold meats and cheese. I have to have a good cup of strong coffee in the AM. When I looked for peanut butter for a PBJ my girlfriend thought I was nuts & the store kept the PB in the butcher section - go figure.

Post a Comment