Version 2.0 - Tokyo is coming soon. Please excuse the construction and let me know if you have any problems.

Morning Shot - Looking for a Job

Sunday, March 01, 2009 / Posted by Zackary /

Good Morning Everyone!

The time here in Nagoya, Japan is 6:09 a.m. and it is 10 (or 50) outside. At 6:23 the sun is supposed to rise but my red curtains are closed so I will miss it. Rain is forecast for the day so I won't be taking many pictures.

I am still on a silly schedule of sleeping during the day and awaking at night to look for a new job Teaching English. How does one look for a job in Japan? There are lots of websites in English that list jobs and employers. Applying for jobs is the same except in Japan they want a picture attached to your CV. In America you never attach a picture unless you are a model or actor. Most of these sites email you updates every day which is helpful. Another resource is the message board in my apartment building which has many foreigner English Teachers.

As in every other country networking is a key to success. My friends are on Facebook and know I am looking for a job. I have worked for several other companies and keep in touch with them via email. In another entry I will write about the Japanese economy but for now let me say it is ugly. Many companies and individual sare cutting back on expensive English programs.

For more exciting (and better paying jobs) you need to speak a decent level of Japanese. I do speak some Japanese but my level is still very low. If I spoke fluent Japanese I would be a paralegal in Tokyo as that was my profession in Chicago for seven years. When I see postings for paralegal I am able to check off any number of qualifications except for the language requirement.

I will keep you posted on my search and how things turn out. As always always, thank you for stopping by and spending time with me.

Peace,
-Zackary

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment