Version 2.0 - Tokyo is coming soon. Please excuse the construction and let me know if you have any problems.

Japanese Tableware

Sunday, January 18, 2009 / Posted by Zackary /

Shannon Lynch, a friend from Twitter asked me, "After chopsticks what do the Japanese use most?"

After chopsticks Japanese people use soup spoons the most. For some soups you use chopsticks to eat the main part of the soup and then drink the rest.

In Chicago I knew how to use chopsticks but was just an amateur. In Japan I use chopsticks almost every day and have become more advanced. For example you can pull things apart such as meat with chopsticks. This is difficult at first but you get used to it pretty quick. The children take a chopstick in each hand and use them to pull things apart. This actually works great but if adults did this it would be considered bad behavior. Speaking of bad behavior your chopsticks should never cross each other. And never ever stick your chopsticks in something straight up. This is associated with funerals and so you never want to to do that.

The Japanese love Italian food and many places have chopsticks as well as western silverware. When I went to a French restaurant a couple of weeks ago they only had western silverware. If you are going to be spreading butter on something you need a knife.

On a side note many Japanese people have asked me if Americans eat sushi with a fork. I always say that American are able to use chopsticks and would not eat sushi with a fork. If you see someone doing this, please slap them for me! And yes, the sushi here is amazing.

Keep those questions coming, I am always happy to answer whatever I can.

Peace,
-Z

Labels:

1 comments:

Comment by Wellville on January 18, 2009 at 6:54 AM

I knew it. This was really wonderful to read. And I will ask the sushi question: Do they put the entire piece in their mouths in one bite? Or do they take bites off the sushi, in pieces? I was told to put the entire piece in my mouth, be it, sashimi or Nigiri-zushi or Maki-zushi etc...

Post a Comment